How bringing you a quality cup remains the central focus of every innovation.
Innovation. It’s a word that can both intimidate and inspire. The funny thing about grand innovations is that their origins are often humble: ideas need room to grow, after all. When we began our company in 1986, we had five employees. Our staff meetings may have been small, but our ideas were substantial: to create a machine that could replicate the aromas and freshness of an Italian espresso by the cup in your home.
Fast forward through the pioneering years (which were filled with many trials and errors), and you’ll find us here and now, where we’ve come to adopt a certain attitude: to fully appreciate where we are, we must appreciate from where we have come.
To fully appreciate where we are, we must appreciate from where we have come.
Our first machine which was released in 1986 was called the C100. Inspired by Luiggi Bezzera’s original espresso coffee concept, it had a hand-held capsule holder that mimicked the barista movement. It was groundbreaking and revolutionary to have mini espresso machines that used portioned, encapsulated coffee and produced consistent quality each time.
And as the markets change, as individual needs and tastes evolve, so do our machines. Here at Nespresso, our goal is to continue to research, redesign, and reimagine the way millions of people worldwide prepare their coffee, while focusing on reliability, productivity, and sustainability. From creating more energy efficient machines with each one having an automatic stand-by mode after inactivity, to the fact that up to 40% of the plastic in a new machine comes from recycled parts*, our machines aren’t just becoming smarter, they’re becoming greener.
Now, over 30 years and 38 machines later, we are still reinventing the coffee experience and enabling you enjoy high quality espresso in the comfort of your own home. And this is something we will continue to do because to us, coffee is our history, our future, but also our shared story with you. And the story begins the same way it ends: with a perfect cup of coffee.
Now we are inviting you to revisit some of the most iconic machines that have informed who we are today. Let’s take a walk down memory lane, shall we?
- This machine is proof that it all began in the name of love. A Swiss engineer working for Nestle was asked by his wife to replicate authentic Italian coffee after a joint holiday there...and the rest, as they say, is history. As for the coffee varieties? The first four coffee capsules to be used in the hand-held capsule holder were Capriccio, Cosi, Decaffeinato and Bolero (later known as Veneto and now Volluto), and now we have over 20 for you to choose from.
- The Concept
- Cleaner and cooler: this is the Concept. We knew that we had to create a system that was not just easier to use, but easy on the eyes. We launched the Concept machine that, for the first time, eliminated the need for the manual capsule holder and also featured an ergonomic design with an open-jaw innovation that kept things simple and tidy.
- The Essenza
- The Essenza machine paved the way for the rest of our machines, with the innovative top loading drop-in capsule concept that has influenced the rest of our designs. Revolutionary technology paired with modern design? We’ve got you covered.
- The Lattissima
- There’s coffee with milk, then there’s coffee with milk. The Lattissima machine was introduced for those who especially love high quality coffee with fresh and frothy milk. With technology that allowed the preparation of fresh milk and specialty coffee recipes at the touch of a button, cappuccinos and latte macchiatos were no longer the sole territory for café baristas.
- The Vertuo
- Because everyone wants options in life, right? We designed the Vertuo for those who prefer large-cup coffees but also enjoy espresso and espresso-based drinks. The Vertuo is a coffee system for the digital era which features an innovative barcode technology that identifies the type of variety being used, then uses the Centrifusion™ extraction process to optimize brewing parameters and ensure the perfect crema every time.
Our commitment to you is to pursue innovation; each era welcoming refinement and renovation to create different machines for different needs. To see our whole range of machines and find the right fit for you, visit our website.
*Source: Global Reporting Initiative - The Positive Cup, Creating Shared Value Report